Close Menu
The Politics
    What's Hot

    Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News

    February 16, 2026

    Canada Gives U.S. Arms Makers Cold Shoulder on Military Spending

    February 15, 2026

    Physical ID theft recovery much harder than credit card fraud cleanup

    February 15, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    • Demos
    • Politics
    • Buy Now
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    The Politics
    Subscribe
    Monday, February 16
    • Home
    • Breaking
    • World
      • Africa
      • Americas
      • Asia Pacific
      • Europe
    • Sports
    • Politics
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Tech
    • Weather
    The Politics
    Home»Tech»Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News
    Tech

    Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News

    Justin M. LarsonBy Justin M. LarsonFebruary 16, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest Copy Link LinkedIn Tumblr Email VKontakte Telegram
    Share
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest Email Copy Link


    The government has announced a sweeping “crackdown” on tech firms to protect children from illegal content.

    It will include measures to eliminate “vile illegal content created by AI”, and could even open the door to an Australia-style age limit on social media, a Number 10 spokesperson said.

    It also promises to shut down the loophole that has allowed chatbots to produce illegal content.

    On Sunday Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer said “no platform gets a free pass” from the new restrictions.

    Keir Starmer insisted no platforms would be given a 'free pass' from the new measures
    Image:
    Keir Starmer insisted no platforms would be given a ‘free pass’ from the new measures

    Under the plans, ministers will “shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act”, according to a government announcement.

    Introduced in 2023, the Online Safety Act imposes strict duties on social media platforms – particularly in protecting children from harmful content.

    The government has also promised a consultation with tech firms to discuss how to best safeguard children.

    A spokesperson said that means “being able to act quickly on measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are harmful”.

    In December last year Australia became the first country in the world to introduce a mandatory minimum age of 16 for accessing social media platforms.


    Elllen Roome is campaigning for Jools’ Law; a right for parents to access their deceased child’s data without a court order.

    Sir Keir said: “As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online.

    “Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my government, Britain will be a leader, not a follower, when it comes to online safety.

    “Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action.

    “We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”

    Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said: “I know that parents across the country want us to act urgently to keep their children safe online.

    “That’s why I stood up to Grok and Elon Musk when they flouted British laws and British values.

    “We will not wait to take the action families need, so we will tighten the rules on AI chatbots and we are laying the ground so we can act at pace on the results of the consultation on young people and social media.

    “We are determined to give children the childhood they deserve and to prepare them for the future at a time of rapid technological change.”

    Read more from Sky News:
    Foreign secretary denies PM is ‘rattled’
    Inside the UK’s van dwelling hotspots

    Shadow Education Secretary Laura Trott dismissed the proposals as “more smoke and mirrors from a government that has chosen inaction when it comes to stopping under-16s accessing social media”.

    Ms Trott said the evidence that social media content harms under-16s is “clear” and said they “should be prevented from accessing” it.

    Britain, she said, “is lagging behind while other countries have recognised the risks and begun to act”.

    Her view was echoed by Dr Becky Foljambe, founder of Health Professionals for Safer Screens, who said ministers should “stop talking and act, as every day they dither, more children are harmed”.



    Source link

    Related

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email Telegram Copy Link
    Justin M. Larson
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Tech

    Physical ID theft recovery much harder than credit card fraud cleanup

    February 15, 2026
    Tech

    Clean up social media algorithms: Step-by-step guide for all platforms

    February 15, 2026
    Tech

    What are the symptoms of measles – and what should you do if you think your child is infected? | UK News

    February 15, 2026
    Tech

    Four new astronauts arrive at the International Space Station to replace evacuated crew | Science, Climate & Tech News

    February 14, 2026
    Tech

    Fake antivirus app delivers Android malware threat to mobile devices

    February 14, 2026
    Tech

    AutoFlight Matrix becomes world’s largest flying car after successful tests

    February 14, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    • Africa
    • Americas
    • Asia Pacific
    • Breaking
    • Business
    • Economy
    • Entertainment
    • Europe
    • Health
    • Politics
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • Top Featured
    • Trending Posts
    • Weather
    • World
    Economy News

    Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News

    Justin M. LarsonFebruary 16, 20260

    The government has announced a sweeping “crackdown” on tech firms to protect children from illegal…

    Canada Gives U.S. Arms Makers Cold Shoulder on Military Spending

    February 15, 2026

    Physical ID theft recovery much harder than credit card fraud cleanup

    February 15, 2026
    Top Trending

    Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News

    Justin M. LarsonFebruary 16, 20260

    The government has announced a sweeping “crackdown” on tech firms to protect…

    Canada Gives U.S. Arms Makers Cold Shoulder on Military Spending

    Justin M. LarsonFebruary 15, 20260

    Canada plans to unveil a new strategy that will shift its current…

    Physical ID theft recovery much harder than credit card fraud cleanup

    Justin M. LarsonFebruary 15, 20260

    NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles! It started with a…

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Advertisement
    Demo
    Editors Picks

    Review: Record Shares of Voters Turned Out for 2020 election

    January 11, 2021

    EU: ‘Addiction’ to Social Media Causing Conspiracy Theories

    January 11, 2021

    World’s Most Advanced Oil Rig Commissioned at ONGC Well

    January 11, 2021

    Melbourne: All Refugees Held in Hotel Detention to be Released

    January 11, 2021
    Latest Posts

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    Review: Russia’s Putin Sets Out Conditions for Peace Talks with Ukraine

    January 20, 2021

    Review: Implications of San Francisco Govts’ Green-Light Nation’s First City-Run Public Bank

    January 20, 2021
    Advertisement
    Demo
    Editors Picks

    Government announces sweeping ‘crackdown’ on social media firms | UK News

    February 16, 2026

    Canada Gives U.S. Arms Makers Cold Shoulder on Military Spending

    February 15, 2026

    Physical ID theft recovery much harder than credit card fraud cleanup

    February 15, 2026

    Trump’s Stinging Attack on Israel’s President Touches a Nerve

    February 15, 2026
    Latest Posts

    Queen Elizabeth the Last! Monarchy Faces Fresh Demand to be Axed

    January 20, 2021

    Review: Russia’s Putin Sets Out Conditions for Peace Talks with Ukraine

    January 20, 2021

    Review: Implications of San Francisco Govts’ Green-Light Nation’s First City-Run Public Bank

    January 20, 2021
    Advertisement
    Demo
    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    © 2026 The Politics Designed by The Politics.
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.